Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sunday 1 June: Gary’s top ten favorite phrases from his Italian phrase book

As we started packing for the Bay of Naples, Gary went through his Italian phrase book looking for useful items. He studied Italian in college, and has been getting around very well without a phrase book. This book has been useful primarily for its entertainment value. Gary picked out his favorites:

  • I would like to take water skiing lessons. Vorrei prendere lezioni di sci d’acqua.
  • Someone’s been knocked down! È stata investita una persona!
  • He’s drowning! Sta annegando!
  • There’s a burst pipe! Si e roto un tubo.
  • The outlet in the bathroom doesn’t work. La presa di corrente del bagno non fuziana.
  • What are the snow conditions like today? Quali sono le condizioni della neve oggi
  • My son’s missing! Mio figlio è scomparso!
  • The garbage has not been collected for a week. Non portanovia la spazzatura da una settimana. (This one might be useful in Napoli!)
  • It hurts when you touch it. Mi fa male quando lo tocca.
  • He’s passed out. È svenuto.

I detected a couple of themes in Gary’s phrases. Why don’t you see if you can combine them into a story?

Tomorrow: We leave for Napoli!

2 comments:

Mairéad Martin said...

If the snow conditions are what I think they'll be like today, then I might as well be water-skiing. And with the outlet in the bathroom not working (I think there's a burst pipe - it hurts when you touch it), it's not like I can leave the house. Don't get me started: the garbage hasn't even been collected for a week; earlier my son passed out with the smell. My son? Where is my son? My son's missing!!!

And still, despite the plumbing and the missing son, I can't help thinking that somewhere somebody feels like they're drowning or passing out. Is that what this feels like?

Anne said...

Apparently, at least according to Gary, the Italians are alarmists. 'Someone's Been Knocked Down!'??? Gosh, Napoleon!