Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thursday 12 June: Hitting the books

During Gary’s time in Rome, I’ve actually been pretty good about my research. I would hit the books while Gary went for a walk around town, or went running along the Tiber, or worked out at the palestra. But I’m now down to my last few weeks in Rome, and I have some loose ends to tie up. Today I spent the day in full OCD mode, organizing notes, checking bibliographies, updating drafts, and making lists of sources I still need to check. Before I knew it, it was dinner time, and I hadn’t eaten all day! If you know me, you understand what a rare occurrence this is. I realized that I was starved, and craving carbs, I headed out to Cave Canem, one of my favorite local eateries. I started with a salad of mixed greens, just so nobody could say I wasn’t getting my vegetables, and then had a huge baked potato stuffed with sausage and gorgonzola cheese. You have to try this sometime; it’s really good, especially when you’re hungry. Since Rome was starting to really heat up these days, I followed dinner with lemon gelato in the piazza.

An anticlimactic day after spending a month with Gary, kicking around Italy from the Veneto to Amalfi. Still, I got a lot of work done.

No comments: