Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Working on Wednesday


Wednesday was another beautiful day in Rome.  In the morning I went to the academy library again, and ran into a colleague from ALA.  Every time I’ve ever been in Rome, I’ve seen someone I know from the US.  We chatted a while, mostly about how glad we were to be missing East Coast American weather.  I did some more work in the library, stopped for coffee at the Bar G on top of the Gianicolo (this was a place where I hung out when I was in Rome during grad school), and came home to the apartment.  Gary skyped me and we talked for a while. 

I went downtown in the afternoon.  The day was perfect: upper 70s and sunny.  It’s amazing to see roses and rhododendrons blooming in October!  The flowers, umbrella pines and palm trees were a contrast with what I hear about the weather back home.  I caught tram 8 to Largo Argentina.  The streetcar was so packed, I felt like a sardine.  I am astounded at how many people will cram into a bus or tram car in Italy.  The shuttle on game day in State College isn’t even close.  Not only were people standing on the seats rather than sitting to make more room, but also two teenage girls were actually passed overhead like fans at a concert.  Since it was so warm outside, it was stifling in the tram, and the blend of clashing perfumes, colognes, and unwashed American college students was nearly overpowering.  Despite the heat, most of the Romans were wearing jackets, and one woman actually had on a scarf and mittens. 

We finally got into town and I took some photos of various archaeological sites and hit a couple of bookstores to look for stuff to buy for the library.  Since the weather was so fine and I had done so much walking, I figured I deserved gelato, so I had a small cone with fig and apple.  I walked it off by walking back to Trastevere rather than cramming into the tram again.  Along the way I ran into a charming older couple, dressed to the nines to take their four dogs for a walk (yes, Anne, they have dachshunds in Rome!).  I asked if I could take a picture of their dogs, which they graciously permitted, and then chatted with me for a couple of minutes, letting me practice my Italian on them and asking about the mid-term American elections.  Italians love to discuss politics, both their own and anyone else’s. 

Before could cross the bridge at Tiber Island back into Trastevere I had to wait for a military convoy to pass down the lungotevere.  Rome is filled with soldiers and military police right now.  In many European cities it is not uncommon to see soldiers stationed around town, and in Rome always has soldiers around.  They often carry huge automatic weapons as they stroll around town, and I’ve seen carabinieri direct traffic with assault rifles strapped to their chests.  However, I’ve never seen this many in Rome at one time. Even on duty they manage to look stylish in that way that seems to be innate to Italians.  Some officers at government buildings wear dress uniforms that look almost napoleonic, right down to the gilt hilts on the sabers they wear at their sides. The soldiers are always extremely polite, nodding a greeting and calling me signore.

In the evening I ate a little salad at home, sitting by the window and looking out at the piazza.  I wrote up some notes, answered a couple of reference questions (Dead Sea Scrolls, Greek poetry), and inventoried my laundry.  I haven’t tried out the mini-washer yet, but it looks like I will soon: I’m down to one pair of pants, two shirts, and two pairs of socks and boxers.

I’ve finally posted some pictures.  The uploads take a long time because the file are big (12 pixel camera), so I’ve been selective.  You can see my Flickr set “Rome October 2010 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcmack/sets/72157624985334135/detail/.



No comments: