Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Friday 18 April: Twister on a bus

I got up early and did laundry; it wasn’t nearly the adventure that it was the first time, and took only an hour. After putting my laundry away by the expedient method of leaving it in my suitcase, I caught the 115 and headed up to the AAR to do some research. The 115 was packed worse than I had ever seen it. Not only was there standing room only, but everyone was playing bus Twister was they reached over, through, and around each other, trying to hold onto a rail or grip to keep standing as the bus climbed the steep and winding road up the Gianicolo. By now it was about F 75 ° outside, meaning that the bus was about 90. Sweltering in my shorts and tee shirt, as I looked around, I noticed not only that nearly all the other passengers had on heavy coats over sweaters with scarves, but also that three of them actually had the hoods of their parkas pulled over their heads and zipped under their chins. I got off as soon as I could so I wouldn’t melt.

After several hours’ steady work on the topography of the Augustan city, I caught the bus home and gave Gary a call. Our friend Beth was arriving in Rome the next day for a week, and Gary wanted to know if I had cleaned for her visit. Sitting at the table I looked down and saw the floor littered with granola and toe nail clippings, so I decided that maybe Gary had a point. Not only did I get out the broom and sweep the entire place, including under the bed, but I actually cleaned the bathroom. The apartment didn’t sparkle, but it didn’t stink, either. I took out the garbage again, too.

For the evening, I walked along the Tiber on the east bank, the “other” side of the river. The sycamores, which were little more than buds starting to turn to leaf when I first arrived in Rome, are now large and deep green. I realized that I’ve been in Rome for over two weeks, and the brief spring is starting to turn into early summer. I went home and set the alarm for 5 am. The next morning I was going to the airport to meet my friend Beth.

No comments: