Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Mercedes-Benz makes a nice cab!

Decent flight-I had two seats. The flick was The Golden Compass, which I love. I actually slept two hours. I can’t believe how Italians can fly wearing Gucci gabardine and linen with Gucci shoes, and walk off a nine-hour flight looking like they’re ready for the opera.

Alessandro, my cabbie, wanted to show off his new car, which I am sure was not a regulation taxi, being a late-model shiny black Mercedes-Benz limo. Even the passenger headrest had two different automatic adjustments. He drove like a madman through the alleys of Trastevere, correctly assuming that fruit vendors and caffè owners would wrench their wares out of the way before he ran them down. He did have to retract the rear-view mirrors on both sides of the car to squeeze past a delivery truck.

No comments: