Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday 13 April: I take my parents to the Vatican, part 1

My parents are on a big European tour to celebrate their fiftieth wedding anniversary, which was in January. Last December during the holidays, my brothers, their families, and I all threw them a big bash in St. Louis, where they’ve lived the past eighteen years. Family and friends from Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, and other places came for the event (you can see pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcmack/sets/72157603612670418/; Gary took most of them). Now Mom and Dad (Carol and Walt to you) are spending the entire month of April in Europe. They’ve been to Budapest, Vienna, and Munich (where my dad lived right after the war), and are stopping in Rome for a few days. Then they’re off for Pisa, Florence, Venice, Milan, Switzerland, Frankfurt, and back to St. Louis. They do get around!

I got up early (for Sunday in Trastevere; Saturday night partying ends at 4 am), did the usual morning stuff, and made my way to their bed and breakfast in the Borgo, near the Vatican. They arrived at Fiumicino about 9:30 and went right to their b&b, where I met them a little after 11. It’s a really nice place, very light and airy with blond wood, all contemporary Italian style. It’s on the fifth floor (the sixth floor to Americans) with a nice patio with views of the Vatican. We started off, of course, with food. Just up the street was a nice little place for a light lunch of spaghetti alla carbonara, a traditional Roman dish. We then walked to Piazza San Pietro, through security at the basilica, and into the grottoes of Saint Peter’s. We’re going to the main basilica tomorrow after we finish with the Vatican Museums.

Mom, Dad and I then strolled down the Via della Conciliazione, along the Tiber, and crossed the river at Ponte Vittorio Emmanuelle II. We stopped at an enoteca for an early dinner (very early by Italian standards). The place had a forno al legno, a wood-fired stove, so we ordered pizza with artichokes, prosciutto, and olives (it also had a hard-boiled egg quarter in the center). An antipasto of grilled vegetables and a seafood salad completed the meal, with wine of course. Pics in the “cucina italiana” folder. We then headed back to Mom and Dad’s b&b. They were pretty beat. Yesterday they flew from Munich to Madrid, where they had to spend the night at the airport, and then spent today hiking around two countries (the Reppublica Italiana and the State of Vatican City). They’re hitting the hay early since tomorrow we go to the Vatican Museums. I caught a bus back to Trastevere and during the ride fell in with four lovely British women in Rome for four days from Chester. They had heard that Trastevere had good food, and since it was on my way, I took them to Piazza di Santa Maria and pointed out some of the great places to eat. I then headed back to the apartment, made a salad, and did some writing. New pics today at www.flickr.com/danielcmack in the Italian food set, and a new set for my parent’s visit. And there’s a new set for my friend Sandy, Angels for Sandy, because I know they’ll remind her of her own trip to Rome (hi Sandy! Hope you’re doing well!). Will call Gary in a bit and hit the hay.

Tomorrow: I take my parents to the Vatican, part 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daniel:

Thanks for the ANGEL pics. I love them, and they do remind me of my recent trip to Roma. Your blog is allowing me to return to Rome and see it again through your eyes.

Big hug!

Ciao,
Sandy