Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Monday, May 5, 2008

Friday 2 May: Invasion of the tourists

May heralds the arrival of tourists to Italy, and today proved it. Since May 1 is a holiday it’s not noticeable then. Today, though, the already crazy traffic in Trastevere was suddenly augmented by tours in pedal rickshaws and on Segways. I watched with amusement as a couple of teenage American boys kept going headlong over the front of their Segways. I know that Segways are supposed to be easy to ride, but have you ever seen the video of George W. Bush on one? YouTube it!

The other thing that happens in Rome in May is the arrival of summer. All of Europe has had an unseasonably cool spring, and the Romans have been bundled up since I arrived. Today it was suddenly eighty and sweltering (I don’t know what “sweltering” is in metric). Walking along the Tiber I looked at the sycamore trees, covered so thickly in dark green leaves that you can hardly see the branches. When I first arrived here, the sycamore leaves were tiny and pale yellow-green, just emerging from their buds. I have been in Italy for a month now.

No comments: