Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Friday, May 9, 2008

Friday 9 May: Haircut, riot, and movie

Today was a lot of fun! I hit the Academy early to check some citations. This was the day for the Libraries Awards ceremony. Since Gary and I were the two who nominated Susan for the University Libraries Award, I gave her a quick call to congratulate her (Hooray Susan! You rule! Congrats also to Wendy and Karen for the Margaret Knoll Spangler Oliver Libraries Award!).

Looking in the mirror, I saw that I was getting a little shaggy. With the rapid approach of Roman summer, I decided it was time to get a haircut. There were several options, including beauty salons very nearby. I decided to go to the old barbershop instead. First, they charge 6 euro instead of 20. Second, they have stacks of Italian comic books to read while you wait. Third, it’s a fun place with three barbers, the youngest about 60. I think the oldest must have cut Mussolini’s hair. Of course, he was the one I wanted, and got. He asked me what I wanted, and I told him corto sul posteriore, corto dai lati, un po’ meno corto sul capo (short on the back, short on the sides, a little less short on the top). The old guy suddenly exploded into a buzz of scissors and comb, his hands flying all around my noggin. He never got out the electric clippers, but in five minutes I had the best haircut I’ve had since my fluorescent mohawk days in Youngtown in the early 80’s. I’ll get Gary to take a pic when he gets here.

I decided to go for a walk around Trastevere because it was so nice out, and because every time I go, I discover a new shop or caffè or shop. Turning a corner, I was suddenly confronted by a huge crowd of people watching a priest in full robes beat a bloody woman to the ground with an enormous club! I was sort of taken aback, but then saw the cameras and lights on the other side of the street. Someone was shooting a flick in my neighborhood! It was too cool, so I hung around for a while. Next came a bunch of rioters, young folks dressed like college students and hippies. They were running from police in riot gear carrying large automatic weapons, including grenade launchers. I talked to a group of actors, students who were obviously enjoying themselves immensely. They were all filthy in torn clothes, and wielded a nice collection of foam rocks, cobblestones, sticks, and clubs for fighting the police. I asked them how much the stuff hurt if you got hit with it. They responded by first pelting me with rocks, then beating me with clubs and boards. It was like getting hit by a sponge, and our brawl ended up being the most fun I’ve had since Beth was here. The gang dubbed me Il gigante (The Giant) and made me stay and have gelato with them. They were eager to pose for a photo-op, especially when I told them that it would be on the Web. One of the cops posed too, in a nice threatening stance. I never did find out what the movie is about; I’ll have to see if they do more filming in the area. All in all, a blast of an afternoon. Check out the pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcmack/sets/72157604965523500/.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is hysterical - Ann sent me the link here, I am so jealous you have such a great job and get to have adventures like this. I love the pictures.
-Kerry