Off to Roma with Gary for my birthday

Another trip to Roma!

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday 24 May: A day along the lagoon, then back to Roma

Gary and I had breakfast at Ca’Riccio, and then caught a water bus to the Santa Lucia section of Venice. Seeing mixed fried shellfish on a caffè menu, I made Gary stop for a second breakfast! Please note in the Flickr pics that this was topped by a whole, deep-fried, spiny shelled lobster. We then hit the shops, where the glassmakers of Murano sell their wares. Every now and then I go into magpie mode: I see something shiny and I must have it. I have been collecting glass, and I sort of went overboard during my last morning in Venice. Gary did convince me to restrict myself to small pieces that could be easily packed, and the shops were very good about packing and wrapping items for me. I’ll wait to see if my finds make it back to the US before I post pics.

We stopped for lunch (two hours after my second breakfast) so I could have seafood in Venice one last time. An uneventful four hours on the Eurostar first-class high speed train brought us back to Rome just as it was getting dark, and just as Trastevere was coming alive. We bought some pizza and took home with us for dinner. Tired from traveling, we went to bed and actually slept.

No comments: